Monday, April 4, 2011

That Moment...



…when Cancellara and Chavanel touched and held hands is, I believe, one of the most beautiful things in cycling one can witness. The two had been out on attacks all day. Each had their own moves and moments of possible glory. Yet, when they realized that their own solo efforts were not enough to shape the race alone, they shared a moment of absolute respect and strength not only to each other, but to the race, to the Classics, to the Ronde Van Vlaanderen, and to this beautiful sport of cycling. I absolutely love seeing such respect in the professional races and I believe it is something that grounds this as a gentleman’s/lady’s sport. I only hope to ride away in a break that deems such an honor. Whether we (my breakaway companion and I) are about to be swept up 5k from the finish, or know that it will be a one on one battle to the line, that is on the bucket list.

Also, the moment the lead group hit the final climb of the race, Philippe Gilbert attacked...
My heart goes out to the big hearted Belgian, Philippe Gilbert. His attack on the final climb to break the will of all humanity is why he is my absolute favorite cyclist.

No comments:

Post a Comment