Monday, January 3, 2011

20 Years Fast: Michael Matthews

I thinks it's a pretty cool thing for this reigning U23 World Champion sprinter, Michael Matthews (Rabobank) to be winning against the pros and taking the overall lead of the Jayco Bay Cycling Classic. Stage 2 was taken by Matthews over multiple Grand Tour stage winner, Simon Gerrans (Team Sky) in impressive fashion.
Rather than just be jealous of this amazing young talent, I figure I would give him his due recognition. The guy is 20 years old. What a punk. I would like to see him mixing it up with the best in the Grand Tours of Europe in a year or two. Any sooner might make me sick. 

Reading about how the race was won on Cycling News, this kid shows a lot of promise. Riding with Simon Gerrans in a significant duo breakaway and being able to out sprint the strong Sky rider with a powerful effort and sprint (yes more than just a sprint) is pretty cool. Matthews took the overall lead and Gerrans took the points leader's jersey. I wouldn't say Gerrans is in his best form, but one can't count out the talent Matthews showed. Both riders have a lot to look forward to this season. 


No comments:

Post a Comment