Monday, January 3, 2011

New Cycle Computer Options

My Garmin Edge 305 is unresponsive. It died after I had just plugged it into my computer to transfer data and recharge the battery. When I unplugged the usb from the garmin, it would not turn back on and I've tried various ways of troubleshooting and bringing the garmin back to life. I will still try more before I pull the trigger on a new cycle computer, but the task of finding the right new cycle computer is tough on its own.

There are so many options out there when it comes to the cycle computers best for everyone. My perfect one would probably be the Garmin Edge 500, but I do not want to spend that much money on a new computer. I really don't need all of the flare and flash that thing packs. Sure it would be nice, but I'm a college student. I cannot spend all willy-nilly no matter how much I might want all the bells and whistles.

I would want to have a lot of what the high end computers offer. If I didn't worry about money my computer would have:
  • Computer program and data upload (mac)
  • Heart rate, cadence,  and speed
  • Rechargeable battery
  • Accurate calorie count of workouts
There are other really cool functions that I wouldn't mind having like power recording, altimeter functions, and more cool stuff, but I just can't justify spending more than I have to. Let's also keep in mind that no one needs a compute to ride, train, or race. I don't think I'm ready to go that old-school for my riding, training, and racing, but it is all true.

I have reduced my search to the Cateye V3 and the Vetta V100R WL2X. I would definitely consider these  computers a downgrade from my Garmin Edge 305, but the capture all that I really need. The biggest sacrifice I would have to let go of the ability to upload ride data to my laptop computer. It's fun to see things on a graph and maybe I'm just a dork about it, but I know I can live without it. 

The Cateye V3 is probably going to win out. It doesn't have everything I would want, but I know I can get a discounted team price at Big Bang Bicycles!
However, for a bit more, but still within my price range, I can get a customized Vetta computer just like this one!
"IUP" on the side there.
Oh baby! That would be sweet! Soooooo tempting, but ah... I must stay strong. I do not need a customized cycle computer. I may be heading to Big Bang Bicycles tomorrow for get the V3. I do know he (Glenn) has that computer, but I'm not entirely sure what other options he might have. If I do go to the shop, I will be sure to have my bike with me so they can set it up the right way for me. I know I could do it, but I know they can do it better.

(This is my 100th post! Thanks again for reading)

No comments:

Post a Comment