Tuesday, November 16, 2010

If the Shoe Fits

I decided to toss on the new Wellgo pedals to my road bike and slide into my new shoes. Oh, the comfort! I want to get used to clipping in and out of these pedals now... why not? Anyway, these Mavic Pulse shoes are not the highest end Mavic shoes (like these), but I dig 'em.  They are a snug fit. I was a little nervous about getting "size 9" shoes, but they really aren't too small.

Shoe fit and feel is a big thing for me. If you know my cycling, you know my gripe with my shoes. I have a nasty habit of buying cycling shoes online before ever trying them on in person. Ridiculous, I know. I have suffered from ill fitting and painful shoes. My current road shoes - Vittoria Premium - can be little pain lockers for my feet. I say "can be" because they are not always painful. One some trainer and outdoor training rides these shoes can plague my feet with sometimes crippling pain. On more than one occasion I have had to take a break and actually get off my trainer or pull off to the side of the road to take off my shoes and relieve my feet of the pain. Hypothesize what you will as to whether I am wearing them too tight, loose, or just poorly fitted for my feet, but when they hurt it sucks and really frustrates me.

Then again, what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, right? I suppose. There are other times that they don't hurt one bit. The ONLY reason I have not gotten rid of these shoes is because they have not ever hurt my feet or hindered my expected performance in a race. If and when they do I will be quick to be rid of these and probably buy some Mavic Avenirs. Those bad boys look good (match the bike too) and I will now certainly know how comfy they will be.

The Mavic Pulse shoes I wore and rode for the first time today did hurt my feet a bit near the end of my trainer ride, but come on. They are new and will take time to brake in. I think a lot of the reason why my feet never hurt during a race is because my mind has other, more important things to fuss about. Trainer rides are a whole 'nother story. Pain is all in the head. I like to keep that kind of thing in mind when I'm in the hurt locker.

Pictures of my set-up to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment