Monday, November 22, 2010

Terrible Thing Happened Today

I'm not exactly sure how I can admit this. I am still in shock and really upset with myself for being so foolish, negligent, and absent minded.

In short, I ran over by bike with my car.

I know. I seriously had a bit of a breakdown after I had called my mom to tell her just before I was to head home for Thanksgiving break. What happened was, I had everything packed in my car and I had leaned my bike on the back right corner of my car (looking from the back). I then thought I had everything packed and in place and I backed out my car and then... "bump"! What I meant to do was put my bike on my rear bike rack before I backed out and was to be on my way. How could I forget?

I pulled back forward, ran out of my car, and hurried to look at what I had just done. Oh, what have I done!?

My bike is done for. The frame is cracked and frayed on one of the chain stays (I think that's what it's called) beyond any comprehension of repair for a carbon fiber bike. The rear wheel is terribly bent out of shape and the braking surface is scratched and chipped. The 50 tooth ring is bent and probably not worth trying to bend back in place. I'm not sure whether the rear derailure is fixable/useable after this. The front wheel is bent, but possibly salvageable. Everything else on the bike is okay.

I am not sure what I am going to do from here. This sets me back in a way I did not expect in more way than one. The most obvious is the cost of losing this bike. I still don't think it has fully hit me. What I am going to do about that cost (replacement, insurance possibilities, swapping parts) is still up to discussion with my parents and I. I'm leaning toward reviving my Raleigh bike. That will come with its own costs and setbacks, but it might be the most responsible thing to do.

The less obvious setback is to my training. I was ready to head to home to get a great week of training on the bike in. Now I am without that opportunity.
Where the scratches are you can see the fraying and how torn it is.
I feel sick to my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment